Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Multifaceted compliments

Quartz - in normal lighting
Someone recently told me that I was multifaceted and not all dark.  While I know that it was meant as a compliment, it was neither a compliment, nor a revelation.

Multifaceted refers to stones - gemstones in particular - and how they're cut to show best in the light.  The term multifaceted doesn't change the color of the actual stone.  It simply reflects the outsourced light to enhance the stone in the best possible way.  The light is still outsourced.  The light doesn't come from within the stone.

Quartz - in the best possible light available
So, in a way, it was sort of a backhanded compliment, at best.  It's all about the other person's light shining so brilliantly in your presence.  Does the way I'm "cut" make you seem brighter or duller?  And why should I care?  I am still the gem.  And I'm still the same color, and that doesn't change.  What changes is the circumstances/situation - or lighting - in which I'm put.  And it is not just the lighting, but the background in which you see the stone, as well as the viewer's eyes.

I know that the two images above that I chose have no facets, but the principle holds true to all stones - even if they're tumbled vs cut.  But just go out and look for images of faceted stones and you'll see that they're photographed in the best possible lighting to show the gem's reflection of light.

So, my question is: what weird shit has recently been said to you lately?  Make me laugh internet.  Don't disappoint.







No comments:

Post a Comment